Below you will find the latest information and guidance regarding testing and tracing, and local outbreak management.
We are working as fast as we can to update this page with useful information for you. Please follow @LGAwellbeing for the latest updates and keep checking back. Our Knowledge Hub includes resources, latest government guidance, case studies and all the current information. Please also see our FAQs for more detailed updates and our latest media lines related to coronavirus.
- Testing and tracing
Information for the public
Coronavirus: getting tested Guidance: on coronavirus testing, including who is eligible for a test and how to get tested.
Developing NHS Test and Trace: business plan (30 July) sets out the next steps in the development of the NHS Test and Trace service and priorities for the next 3 to 6 months
DHSC guidance for the public on the different types of coronavirus testing available, including which types of test they should use and when, and what they should do when they receive a test result (July 2020).
Information for local leaders
PHE Action Cards
Advice on how to respond to an outbreak of coronavirus to individuals that own, manage or are responsible for a specific business or organisation within the community.
PHE letter to Directors of Public Health on contract tracing (pdf, 24 April 2020)
The initial findings of a DHSC commissioned study examining the levels of infection in the general population in comparing geography, age, sex, ethnicity, key worker status and symptoms.
- Local data
All chief executives and directors of public health received a letter, and its attachment, which capture the data sources on COVID-19 that are currently publicly available on the Test and Trace service, outbreaks and broader surveillance related to COVID-19; summarised as follows:
- National figures for COVID-19 tests, cases, deaths for the UK and every country of the UK are produced daily
- National figures for the NHS Test and Trace service are produced weekly
- The Weekly Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID -19) Surveillance Report summarises information from a variety of surveillance systems covering national data including on cases, age, gender, rates and ethnicity. There is also regional data and weekly rates of cases by local authority including a PHE top 10 of councils with public health responsibility with the highest weekly rate of cases
- The Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK dashboard contains information, at all council levels, on cases and rates and is updated daily
- From 10 July, weekly case numbers at middle layer super output area are available on a map and in a spreadsheet (in the “about data” section)
- On Friday 3 July, NHS-Digital released a public version of the Containment dashboard, Progression, that enables triages and cases to be tracked through time.
COVID-19 cases data from LG Inform
Local authority report showing the number and rates of COVID-19 hospital cases by authority, compared to others
England overview report showing the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths across England as a whole, and the top ten councils for number and rate of cases
Weekly deaths report providing a summary of Office for National Statistics (ONS) weekly deaths data
Care homes report focusing on deaths in care homes in particular
Vulnerable groups report providing estimates of local authority populations likely to be vulnerable to COVID-19
Area characteristics report comparing case rates across all local authorities to other factors at a local area level, such as deprivation.
- National data
- Care home testing
GOV.UK – letter regarding further information on testing in care homes (pdf, 7 May 2020)
GOV.UK – whole home testing for care home staff and residents (pdf, May 2020)
- Local outbreak management
Government guidance on containing and managing local coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks (COVID-19 contain framework)
Principles for the design of COVID-19 Local Outbreak Plans from the Association of Directors of Public Health, Faculty of Public Health, LGA, PHE, Society of Local Authority Chief Executives, and the UK Chief Environmental Health Officers group. (new)
ADPH explainer – local outbreak plans (pdf, July 2020)
ADPH explainer - data (pdf, July 2020)
- Support for councils
Our testing, contact tracing and outbreak management Knowledge Hub for councils includes resources, latest government guidance, case studies and all the current information. You need to be a member of the closed group to use it.
Further information is available in our FAQs.
Support for DPHs
- Bespoke peer support for Directors of Public Health and public health teams joint with ADPH
- Directors of public health from across the country talk about the local response to COVID-19
Support for local leaders
Find out more about our developing support offer for local leaders. This currently includes:
- LGA – Support for local leadership - peer offer on testing, contract tracing and outbreak management (pdf, July 2020) including a checklist on planning for a local outbreak.
- HWB Chairs touch base debrief and Health and Wellbeing Board Reset Tool looking at next stage of the COVID-19 response, including our offer around free bespoke virtual peer support to Boards
- Health inequalities
Please visit the public health page for a range of resources on health inequalities.
The LGA has been working with councils and partners to develop a series of events on test, trace and outbreak management:
10 July: Test and Trace the LGA facilitated a webinar on behalf of Tom Riordan, Chief Executive of Leeds City Council, who was working at the centre of Government helping shape and implement the Test and Trace arrangements. Aimed at Chairs of Health and Wellbeing Board and Portfolio Holders for Public Health and Social Care it provided an overview of the work on local outbreak planning, how this is working in practice and looked at the role of the local councillor in outbreak planning.
20 July: Contain Framework the LGA facilitated a further event on behalf of Tom Riordan aimed at Chief Executives and Directors of Public Health. Tom and colleagues explained the new ‘Contain Framework’ which sets out the national and local system for outbreak planning, including the roles and responsibilities nationally and locally; the designation of local authorities and what that means in practice; and new powers being given to councils and to Ministers.
22 July: Food Processing - Experiences, Lessons Learned, and the Role of the HSE in outbreak management
24 July: Contain Framework – update for Council Leaders the LGA facilitated a further event on behalf of Tom Riordan aimed at Council Leaders. Tom explained the new ‘Contain Framework’ and held a Q&A session with Council Leaders.
25 August: The LGA alongside the Contain Pillar of NHS Test and Trace ran a webinar on data on Tuesday 25th August, 10:30-12:00. Dr Carolyn Wilkins OBE, who is working at the centre of Government to implement the Test and Trace arrangements, joined colleagues from the Joint Biosecurity Centre in presenting on how the available data can support local systems in planning and responding to a local outbreak. We will also welcomed speakers from Doncaster Council, London Borough of Hackney Council and Hertfordshire County Council who shared how they have used data in local outbreak management.
Find out more about our previous and forthcoming webinars in our events programme.
COVID-19 peer support for directors of public health: testing, contact tracing and outbreak management
A bespoke LGA/ADPH support offer to directors of public health and their teams for testing, contact tracing and outbreak management.
COVID-19: public health
Information and guidance related to public health services, including mental health and isolation.