Cyber Unpacked: The LGA has released a series of explainer videos on cyber security concepts aimed at non-technical audiences. These videos are a tool for members and council officers to raise awareness and improve understanding, which can aid decision making when engaging with cyber risk.
Improving the secure use of digital technology by councils and communities.
This hub brings together an overview of our support offer and information on upcoming events, relevant publications and notable examples of practice.
- General support team: Our programme of support is designed to support councils to develop the knowledge, skills and tools needed to design modern and secure digital public services. We do this by providing advice, guidance, signposting, training courses and workshops, knowledge-sharing events, case studies, grants and other resources.
- Bespoke support team: Our team provides advice and support to individual councils on ways to improve cyber security culture. We do this through our Cyber 360s, reaction exercises and post-incident support.
- Policy team: Our team ensures that local government voices are shaping national priorities, and councils are supported to implement national cyber, digital and technology policy and programmes locally. We do this by working closely with councils, developing an evidence-base of best practice and experiences, and engaging with policy makers to achieve the best outcomes for local government and the communities they serve.
- Research and data: We carry out our own research, and commission research, focused on the digital landscape in local government. Our research underpins and shapes the support we provide to the sector – and informs the conversations we have with central government on the future direction of policy and practice. We apply research methodologies and analytical techniques to address issues concerning digitalisation across local government and its associated security implications. We also analyse and interpret trends and patterns across the complex area of digital public service delivery.
- Network groups: We regularly bring together council representatives and key partners to support transformation and improvement.
- Incident response: We provide non-technical support to councils to respond and recover from cyber incidents, including supply chain incidents and vulnerabilities. Our team has an on call capability, which means that we are available to support 365 days a year. You can find out who to get in touch with by visiting out on call webpage.
We are supporting councils to reach 12 strategic outcomes, which are crucial in realising the full potential of digitalisation to meet the needs of local communities: connectivity, inclusion, economic productivity and growth, data, democracy and participation, ethics and sustainability, value, leadership, organisational capability, partnership, services, and security and resilience.
Our past projects
See what we have done in the past to support the development of digital approaches across councils in England.
Our Cyber, Digital and Technology Programme forms part of our sector support offer to local authorities and is funded by the UK Government.
- Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: @LGAcyberdigital
- To report a cyber security incident, go to the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) website.
Cyber and digital bulletin
We produce a free monthly e-bulletin containing sector highlights, security updates and upcoming events. You can subscribe to our Cyber, Digital and Technology bulletin online.