We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
We have the very latest information and advice for managing the local government workforce in relation to COVID-19.
We will update these pages regularly and also provide information via the Workforce Team twitter account on @LGAWorkforce.
Our new local government earnings and demography survey and workforce data infographic has just been published.
A new guide: Who needs to workforce plan? A simple explanation of the key roles and responsibilities to deliver workforce planning, with handy tools and techniques for all to use.
Local government exit pay - The Government has opened a consultation seeking views on proposals for reforming exit payment terms for local government workers. The consultation closes on 9 November 2020. Alongside proposing changes to the Local Government Pension Scheme regulations in order to accommodate the £95k exit payment cap, the consultation also proposes a limit on cash severance payments in the sector for example by restricting the salary used for severance calculations to £80,000.
September 2020: Help your staff avoid tax avoidance - In our guest blog, the HMRC explains what employers can do to be more aware of tax avoidance schemes and explains how this new approach will help individuals caught up in these schemes to better understand the risks they face.
- Government advice on face coverings, cleaning and more in schools
- Supporting employees on domestic abuse
- NEOST staff wellbeing guide for schools and trusts – information and guidance as well as signposting to other resources to best support the wellbeing of staff, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- LGA COVID-19 workforce survey summary reports are collated here. Councils can access their own and comparative data in LG Inform
- The LGA's guidance on the Job Retention Scheme is updated regularly as government guidance changes.
The Modification order
The primary significance of the Order is in relation to redundancy.
Responding to the COVID-19 recovery: building organisational development capacity in local government
The LGA and North West Employers are working together to support council’s OD professionals in the wake of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Timewise Councils Initiative
Supporting organisations to drive cultural change and best practice on flexible working, as a way to retain and attract the best talent, and maximise their performance.