We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
Our support is designed to:
- help councils develop a flexible and productive workforce
- ensure an affordable and flexible pay, reward and conditions system for local government
- work with different public sector employers to address the challenges and opportunities in the local workforce.
We have a key role in providing the main interface between employers and trade unions for consultation and negotiations on:
- workforce issues and advice; and
- social partnership.
The employment groups within our remit include:
- local government staff
- police and police support staff.
LGA working for local government
Working in consultation with and on behalf of local authorities, regional employers and other stakeholders, we:
- represent local government employer interests on pay, pensions and employment issues to central government, government agencies, trades unions, and European institutions
- support the employers' sides of the national negotiating bodies
- provide advice and support for councils implementing national pay and conditions agreements
- offer technical advice, information and training on the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and related matters
- deliver guidance and advice on employment issues including: employment law, sickness absence management, reward systems and structures, health and safety, age discrimination and the workforce implications of procurement.
Sign up to the LGA Workforce bulletins.