The LGA’s Fire Diversity and Inclusion Champions Network is designed to bring together elected representatives who are responsible for diversity and inclusion issues on their fire and rescue authorities to develop skills to challenge their services to improve in this area.
Members of the Network meet several times a year to hear from experts about key equality and diversity issues for the fire sector, to identify the barriers to greater diversity and inclusion in fire and rescue services and to share best practice from across the country.
The Network is chaired by Cllr Jane Hugo from Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service and Diversity Champion for LGA Fire Services Management Committee.
Every fire and rescue authority in England has the opportunity to engage with the Network through at least one place on the Network and the majority of authorities have taken up their place.
The Network has already committed to working with all relevant stakeholders and experts to further the aims of the Network and to producing resources for fire and rescue authority members, which will be accessible here as they become available.
Upcoming meetings and events
- Friday 22 September, 1.30pm - 3pm (hybrid). Those attending can join in person at 18 Smith Square or online via Teams.
- Wednesday 17 January, 10.30am – 12pm (virtual)
- Wednesday 17 April, 10.30am – 12pm (virtual)
Please email Lucy Ellender if you would like to be added to the mailing list. [email protected]
Past Events and presentations
LGA Culture in the Fire and Rescue Service conference Programme, Tuesday 27 June 2023
Culture in the Fire Service: where are we now
Voices from around the sector – experiences, reflections and way forward
Leading cultural change
- Julie Howell, Strategic Lead, Equality, Diversity & Inclusion at Police Service of Northern Ireland
- Ann Millington, Chief executive of Kent Fire and Rescue Service and Cllr Nick Chard, Member of Kent Fire and Rescue Service and LGA Fire Services Management Committee
- Tom Powell, Area Manager and Liz Sandiford, Assistant Director HR, Lancashire Fire and Rescue Authority
Exploring Fire and Rescue Authority Members Role
- Cllr Rebecca Knox, LGA Fire Services Management Committee and Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service [TBC]
- Cllr Greg Brackenridge, LGA Fire Services Management Committee and West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service
Overview of employment law
Benefits of Staff Networks webinar
The Diversity and Inclusion Champions Network met on 9 October 2020 to discuss the benefits of staff networks. During the session, Members heard two presentations: first, from Anna James, Watch Manager, and Zoe Baker-Powell, PMO Manager (Service Transformation Team), Avon Fire and Rescue Service; and then secondly, from Serena Simon, Programme Director (Church St Regeneration), and Chair of BAME Network, Westminster City Council. You can watch this session or access the transcript below. If you have questions or comments following the session please do email [email protected].
Positive Action workshop video
The Diversity and Inclusion Champions Network met in July 2020 for a workshop on Positive Action in the fire and rescue services. The session, which you can watch below, was presented by Jagtar Singh, the National Adviser for the Asian Fire Service, and Nicola Green, Legal Director at Capsticks Solicitors. If you have questions or comments following the session please do email [email protected].